Wednesday, December 11, 2013

How to Make a Framed Chalk Board



This is a super fun and easy project that will make you want to repeat it over and over again! I just got called to be our ward camp director and I plan on using my framed chalk board to help decorate for one of our pre-camp activities.

Supplies:

Cute Frame (TJ Max is an excellent source for inexpensive and unique frames)*
Valspar's Black Chalkboard Paint
Paint tray or large dish
Small roller Brush
Garbage bag and some tape or some other protective surface
Chalk
Have a sheet of masonite cut to fit into the frame you have chosen at your local hardware store

1. Make sure the masonite board you have had cut fits into your frame perfectly. Make any adjustments necessary. I had my board cut to fit standard sized frames, but after I got home I was surprised to find that so many of the frames I had on hand weren't quite standard! I ended up using my quilting ruler, an X-acto knife, and my cutting board. You wouldn't want to do all of your boards this way (lot's of elbow grease), but it works just fine for small adjustments.

2. Protect your work surface with some plastic sheeting or a plastic bag. As you can tell I have reused mine several times:)


3. Make sure the sheet of masonite is clean by wiping it with a damp cloth removing dust and debris. Let it dry.

4. Poor a small amount of chalk board paint into a paint tray or large dish.

5. Lay your masonite on the plastic sheeting and roll on the first coat of chalk board paint. Do this much like you would paint a wall. Start by painting an M or a W then spread the paint with first horizontal lines and then follow through with vertical lines until the whole board is covered.



6. You will need to do 3 coats, but you have to allow for enough time for the coats to dry thoroughly. Valspar Chalkboard paint requires a full 24 hours between coats, so fold up your sheeting, wash out your brush and be patient!



When I purchased my masonite board at Lows it came in a very large sheet for around $8-$9. The first 2 cuts are free and then each subsequent cut is .25$. I had them cut 2 of each size of frame. So for example 3X5, 4X6, 5X7, 8X10 etc. I always have extra frames lying around, so why not extra chalkboards!

7. After you have painted your 3 coats and allowed them to thoroughly dry slip the glass out of your frame and place the new chalkboard, but don't forget to season your chalkboard before using it! (see my tutorial for how to)



*On occasion you may find that the glass in your frame is actually glued down. I used my X-acto blade to slip in between the layers of glass and frame to separate the two, but I'm not sure I would recommend doing this. It would be much easier to find a frame that is not glued to the glass.

Hope you have fun, I certainly did!

I also had fun creating a chalkboard table for my kids to play with while outside. What fun!



For more crafting fun Click Here





No comments: