Sunday, June 21, 2015

Live Wreath



Not sure why, but I got it in my head this spring that I wanted a live wreath. I did a little research and came up with a plan, although most of the live wreaths I saw on line used succulents. I wanted something a little more floral and thought I could make a go of it with some Impatiens, here's how I did it.

I started out with a roll of moss paper and 2 wire wreath frames, (I don't recommend the wire wreath frames, if you can get a hold of a wire wreath with a snap on back, that is better. I looked and looked, but couldn't find any, so I improvised. The problem with using the wire wreath frames without the snap on back is they are not quite deep enough to hold a lot of dirt. The wire frames with the snap on backs are a lot deeper and can hold more dirt.)

Cut around your wreath frame leaving an inch or more overlap on the outside, then cut out the center. You don't have to be perfect here because it's all going to get tucked in. Fold the outside edge over the wreath frame and tuck it under the next round of wire.


Cut slits around the inner edge to help accommodate the inner fold over.


When you are done folding in the inner edge it should look something like this.


Now it is time to fill it with dirt, be generous, heaping the dirt into mounding piles all the way around.


Cover the other frame in exactly the same way. Place it over the the frame you covered and filled with dirt.


Make slits along the way and stuff the flowers in. I soaked my Impatiens and removed all of the extra dirt so that they would fit into the small slits. Wrap with floral wire in-between each addition of flowers to hold the dirt in and the two frames together.


Soak generously and let it sit for a couple of days watering thoroughly each day. Continue to water it by using a spray bottle each day or taking it down and watering horizontally. If you choose to use a spray bottle, you still need to take it down every couple of days and give it a generous soak. You'll also want to rotate your wreath every couple of days.


Enjoy!

Here's the rest of my front porch :-)





I love the little fishy pillow!


No comments: