Monday, November 23, 2015

Homemade Caramel and Apples

There is nothing more frustrating or rewarding than some delicious homemade Caramel dipped apples. This is a recipe that one of my favorite cooks was kind enough to share with me! I love it! The white chocolate with the spices sprinkled over it is WONDERFUL! I forgot to take a pic :-(



Caramel Apples

1 pound brown sugar (2 1/4 cups)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
20 small apples washed (can soak in a large bowl of water with ¼- ½ cup vinegar) and dried well
20 dowels or craft sticks pushed into the tops of the washed apples

Topping:
White chocolate for melting (I used almond bark) melted in double broiler or microwave.
3 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. apple pie spice


Combine First 6 ingredients in a 2-3 quart sauce pan.  Heat at medium low temp. stirring constantly but slowly and frequently scraping the bottom of the pan.  Cook caramel to the soft ball stage (236) degrees.  Pour into a small deep metal or heat proof bowl and let cool to 200 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  (I just sprayed the baking sheet with Pam) While caramel cools you can prepare the topping.  


Dip apples into caramel using a straight up and down motion (I find it's necessary to tilt the bowl and twirl the apple in the caramel to get it covered fully and this seems to work fine too).  Place dipped apples on baking sheet and place in the fridge for 15 to 20 min.  Next drizzle desired amount of white chocolate on top of apples and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.   I also like to individually wrap them in a cellophane bag and tie it up with ribbon/twine etc.) 

Yum!

I have also experimented with making one of my favorite types of candies: Scotch Kisses. These are incredible, although I've got to figure out how to perfect the process and the packaging. This was my first attempt.




I used a homemade marshmallow recipe and then poured the caramel over the cut marshmallows. I'm still trying to find the best marshmallow recipe, but it's worth the effort for sure! Delicious!

No comments: