Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Belgian Breakfast





This week is general conference and to make it fun for the kids I wanted to start a new tradition to make conference something fun and something they will remember looking forward to. I decided to make Belgian Waffles. Belgium was one of the countries I lived in while growing up. My memories are full of hanging out down town Mons, Brussels, or Bruges. Something we did nearly every weekend was to get a Belgian waffle. Usually it would be somewhat cold and somber outside, and almost always drizzling. We would be all wrapped up in our coats trying to stay warm and I just remember whenever I got my steaming hot waffle with crispy sugar it was like someone had passed me a bundle of pure bliss! Wanting to share that with my family I settled on Belgian waffles. Here goes:

Belgian Waffles:

3/4 lukewarm milk
1 TBSP yeast
1 TBSP sugar
2 sticks of butter at room temperature
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 Cups flour
8 oz of sugar cubes (63 cubes)

1. Heat the milk to room temperature in a sauce pan. Transfer the milk to a bowl and add the yeast and TBSP of sugar. Stir slightly and let the mixture sit until frothy (about 5 min).


2. Mix the butter, eggs, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl.
3. Add the yeast mixture and mix until combined. The dough should be very tender and a little wet, but because of the amount of the butter in this recipe it doesn't get very sticky :)
4. Cover and let rise for 30 min.


5. Break up the sugar cubes using a kitchen mallet.


 6. When the dough is finished rising add the broken sugar cubes and form the dough into balls. The size  of your balls will depend on the size of your waffle maker. I made my dough balls about 1/3 of the size of my waffle maker squares.



7. Follow the instructions for your waffle maker to cook your waffles. Mine has a green light and a red light with a setting for light to dark. I used the middle setting.



8. Sprinkle with sugar and serve with a scoop of ice cream or a scoop of creme fraiche! My husband likes to eat them a la main.

9. Enjoy!


 
For more recipes Click Here

No comments: