Friday, June 6, 2014

Easy Peasy No Zipper Pillow Covers

So last night made 24 days until camp. I had a mini panic attack and did what I do best when I'm feeling overwhelmed and have a lot on my plate. I forget about doing anything productive or helpful and put all of my energy and focus into a project which is completely unnecessary, but makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. I had some spare animal prints from who knows where and decided to make myself a couple of throw pillows to put on my bed while at camp. This year's Theme is Be BRAVE, it's a jungle out there, and I do love to go all out!


 Here's how to make your own pillow covers for any size.

1. The first thing you will need to do is measure the size of your pillow. Measure both the width and the length of your pillow by pulling at the corners. So for example one of my pillows measured at 18 1/2 by 13 1/2 inches.

2. Add an inch and a half to your measurements and cut your front panel. So using the same example I cut my front panel at 20 by 15 inches.

3. To figure out the measurements for the back two panels take your length and divide it by two, then add 6. The Width doesn't change. Again using the same example: 1/2 of 20 is 10, add 6 is 16, So the back two panels were cut at 16 by 15 inches.


4. Create the closure hem by folding up the width of your panel 2 1/2 inches. Iron it in place and fold it over once more. Iron again.


5. Top stitch 2 1/4 inches away from the finished edge.


6. For the second back panel (the one that isn't going to show) Follow the same steps as in step 4, BUT only fold it over an inch each time. Top stitch  3/4 of an inch away from the finished edge.

7. Lay your front panel right side up. Lay your back panel (the one with the 2 1/2 inch hem) on top of your front panel right side down lining the outside edges up.


8. Next lay your other back panel on top of the other two layers right side down, and pin in place, going through all 3 layers of fabric. ( The fabric I was working with is rather thick and and doesn't fray so I didn't bother rolling my hem under. )


 9. Stitch all the way around using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Right side out, and you are ready to go!

Here is a view from the back.


Here's from the front.


 Enjoy!


For a tutorial on adding a little ruffle fun or a beautiful bow click here.






No comments: